Innovation House is NOT a “WeWork-Look-Alike” – it is a smart, low-cost, flexible and well organised solution for a community of entrepreneurs, startups, corporations, investors and advisors.
The founders agree that working from home presents an abundance of distractions. It’s tough to work effectively when you’re close to your TV, pets, your bed, and family. An office environment can create energy and a mindset when you can really interact with fellow workers.
It is not some faceless investor-owned group but a community space owned by two women who understand what is needed for their tenants to thrive and enjoy working, while faced with all the hard challenges of being small and finding your place in these global markets.
Innovation House is a private company owned by two entrepreneurs pictured above, Petra Erätuli-Kola and Katja Aalto. They have a small staff running four offices – one in Otaniemi, next to Aalto University and two in Helsinki, one in Singapore, and perhaps more on the way by following a well trodden path of knowing where their customers want to go…
… and that is the difference with their concept. They have attracted several hundred smaller companies and encourage them to talk together to see if they can find mutual benefits by working together and sharing ideas. The offices are designed for openness and collaboration – something that is terribly important for young companies that are always challenged with limited resources and cash.
These networks have also been strengthened by another surprisingly good idea of getting big companies to join as partners to mix with these smaller brothers and sisters. The big companies like Mandatum Life, Finnair, Paulig and Viking Line have found that there is “lots stuff to be learnt” from these smaller companies, as well as having an interesting place for meetings and events.
Innovation House also has a network of protectors and guardians who have chosen to support and encourage these companies.
But this is a company run by women, and that shows up in the way they present themselves – here just below is how they set out their approach to this business, which one of their staff described as being like “a modern day campfire…
… and even if you always approach these types of presentations with a big dose of healthy common sense, the founders have certainly made excellent progress in attracting many good tenants since inception in 2016 – here is their current list of members… and there is nothing wrong with being ambitious in your endeavours!
Here is their Innovation House Presentation:
- We believe that a happy person is a more productive and creative person. Happiness is a sum of several things: a combination of presence and support of a genuine community as well as a balanced lifestyle.
- From an entrepreneur’s perspective, we make being happy easier by offering a 360° service package, opportunities for exercise and healthy, nutritious food. Your workday is supported by great customer service and cosy, flexible and neat workspaces. The cornerstone of our services is trustworthiness – you can leave it to us and rest assured things will be taken care of.
- We believe that coincidence plays a role in business and it is up to us to recognise these opportunities and seize them. At Innovation House, we want to create these opportunities and look for members who are willing to do the same for others in our community.
- We are proud to introduce our clients’ products and services to our visitors and make introductions to people in our network. We have been happy to notice that our members do the same and become ambassadors of other members in their own networks.
- The bottom line: say hey to everyone at the coffee machine and be curious. We are here to encourage and support all of you.
- From our point of view good matchmaking is essential for growing sales – both ours and our members. Part of it is openness: trust and willingness to open one’s networks and see others reciprocate. We have been delighted to see how this culture of openness is conveyed from one member to another, from the entrepreneur to the customer and from the team member to next.
- We love matchmaking and are willing to help you find the right stakeholders and share useful information.
Our members, together with our team, make a tight community where help is always available. At Innovation House we value good team spirit and consider everyone equal. Everybody gets to be who they are, as well as boldly try out new things. We celebrate each other’s success and are there to offer support and advice when things do not go according to plan.